• Home
  • Blog
  • Helpful guide to Contents Insurance

Contents insurance covers all your personal possessions that you keep within your property.  A simple way to explain this is; contents insurance will cover for anything that if you tipped your house upside down would fall out.  Examples of contents are as follows:

  • Furniture
  • Household goods
  • Kitchen equipment
  • Television and electrical items
  • Personal items and valuables

Contents policies will usually provide cover against theft, fire, vandalism, accidental damage, water leaks or explosions.

Some companies will even cover the cost of replacing locks if your keys are stolen.

Food in freezers and refrigerators is also covered with some providers, up to a specified limit.

Personal Money and Credit Cards can also be covered, up to a specified limit.

Certain providers will also cover you for increased cover during Christmas and weddings

When arranging contents cover you will be asked to estimate the value of your contents.  This can be made easier by using our contents calculator form.

Contents cover outside the home

Policies can offer cover for items that you regularly take outside the home, which could include jewellery, bicycles, laptops, mobile phones and other handheld gadgets; this will be subject to an additional premium.

We can provide the ‘all risk’ cover for Cyprus only or for Worldwide, depending on the Insurance provider.

All home insurance policies are subject to certain exclusions, so always make sure that you check your documents and ensure that any information you have given is up to date.

Additional protection

Most insurance policies can be extended to cover you for full Accidental damage.  This will be subject to an additional premium.


What is an Excesses?

An excess is the contribution you pay towards each and every claim.


Your responsibility in the event of a claim:

  • If in the unlikely event that your property is damaged it is your responsibility to take reasonable steps to insure that the damage does not get any worse.
  • In any eventuality that will lead to a claim you must report this to the police within 24 hours of you becoming aware of this. They will then give you a reference number which your insurance company will require for their records and may refuse to pay out without it
  • Contact us or your insurance company as soon as possible and ask for a claim form to be sent to you
  • Complete the claim form accurately and keep a copy for your own records


Making a claim

If you find yourself having to make a claim on your policy, consider these tips to make the process easier:

  • Check your policy is still in force and that you’re covered for the claim
  • Take reasonable steps to minimise any further loss or damage
  • Always stay in contact with your insurance company during the claim process as they will be able to make sure that you are updated with the progress

Why would a claim be invalid?

In the event of a claim it may be made invalid for the following reasons:

  • If you have incorrectly described the locks on your property
  • If you have informed your Insurance Company that you have a burglar alarm it is important that whenever you leave the property, even if you just pop to the shop for 5 minutes that it is activated as if not this could invalidate your claim.
  • You must always ensure that the all the windows and doors are locked and the property is adequately secured when you are away from the property
  • If you are using your property for business purposes you must always inform your insurer.


Policy documentation

Once you have taken out a policy your insurer will send to us the following:

  • An insurance schedule
  • A ‘key facts’ policy summary
  • A policy booklet

We will always take scans of these documents for you, so that in the event that they are misplaced, we always have a copy here on file.